Sunday, January 16, 2011

#2 The Ohio Stadium


The Ohio Stadium, or commonly referred to as “The Horseshoe” or “The Shoe” is located on North campus and is the home of our favorite Ohio State Buckeyes. The stadium was finished in 1922 but has gone through many restorations over the years to make it larger and more modern. For almost 90 years the stadium has been a place for every Ohio State student to get together on the same side and cheer for their team together which has made this stadium the center of Buckeye pride, companionship and unity.

Walking up to the stadium to attend my first OSU football game was a moment I will not forget. Thousands of people were walking around the stadium to the entrance; they were happy, cheering and yelling chants to each other. The stadium was huge and amazing with massive columns on the sides. I liked how the old architecture part of the stadium blends into the new steel part of the stadium so naturally but you can still tell it’s very old. The North Rotunda is another amazing part of the stadium. This is the entrance on the north side, which has been designed to look like the dome at the Pantheon in Rome and is filled with stained glass murals of the offensive and defensive squads of older Ohio State football teams. It can hold up to 102,329 people, most of which are Ohio State students and fans which makes for a great way for people to interact with each other and make new friends in the process. Sitting in my seat it was almost hard for me not to talk and interact with the people around me. I had a great time at the game; we beat Eastern Michigan that day. Attending that game and every other game has been such an amazing time. The feeling in the stadium is nothing but happiness and excitement and has been an amazing experience for me and for many others.

3 comments:

  1. The Horseshoe is a great place to do an analysis of. There are tons of people interacting with each other and everyone is having a great time. Going to the football games has been one of my favorite parts of college so far. I feel like your description of the stadium's atmosphere is very accurate. As long as the buckeyes are winning, it is almost impossible to not have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a buckeye fan for as long as I can remember and I definitely could not tell you how many games I have been to. I love football and especially Ohio State. The Horseshoe gives you a sense of unity, tradition, and school spirit. Seeing over one hundred thousand people there cheering for the buckeyes is something you cannot miss if you are a student at Ohio State. It is one of my favorite experiences and I love the feeling of being a part of the student section at the games. This is definitely my favorite place on campus and I cannot wait for football season again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. Your insight into the how the North Rotunda was made to look like the Pantheon was perfect. However, You failed to describe how the architecture is actually Doric which would not make sense in an Ancient Roman Pagan Temple. But you are trying and that is always the most important thing. But lest this not take away from your beautiful description of the environment and atmosphere of the Horseshoe. Beautiful job good sir! #makeamericagreatagain

    ReplyDelete